The total amount of belongings that you bring with you to The Homestead should not exceed 1 medium-sized suitcase, or 2 regular-sized garbage bags. If you bring in more than this you will be required to send some home or to dispose of it. Regular room checks are conducted by staff, and if you have too many belongings, or belongings that are not permitted, they will need to be removed from the building immediately.
- Bring enough clothing for about one week. You will be able to do laundry once a week. Clothing should be comfortable and modest. No belly shirts, halter tops, short shorts. Nightwear is mandatory.
- Bring a warm jacket (in season), a sweater, clothes for exercising and walking, a bathing suit if you like to swim, shoes suitable for walking outside.
- Bring an outfit suitable for wearing to church. It need not be fancy.
- Bring your own towels. We can provide them if you don't have them. We supply bedding and pillows.
- We provide laundry detergent. We do not permit personal detergent or fabric softener.
- Don't Bring any clothing that contains any pictures, logos or slogans that might be offensive or triggering to others.
- Don't bring any cologne, perfume, air freshener, potpourri or any highly scented products. The Homestead is a perfume free environment.
- Bring your own unscented or very lightly scented soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, deodorant, feminine hygiene products, hairbrush, hair dryer if needed. We have a supply of basic toiletries if you don't have your own.
- Don’t bring nail polish, nail polish remover or nail glue.
- Don’t bring any sunless tanning products or other kinds of body makeup.
- Don't bring any mouthwash that contains alcohol.
- Bring your own cosmetics and unscented, non-aerosol hair products as needed.
- Don't bring any hair colouring, bleaching, permanent wave or hair straightening products.
Medications and Supplements
- Discuss all of your current medication and supplement use with your intake worker. She will let you know if the medications you are currently taking must be discontinued or tapered before beginning your program at The Homestead.
- Bring all your current prescription medication with you when you move in to The Homestead. All medications must be in their original prescription bottle or dose card.
- Don't bring vitamins or supplements with you unless prescribed by your physician for a diagnosed medical condition.
- All medications must be approved by our staff before you are permitted to take them.
Money, jewellery and other valuables
Client rooms have no capacity to lock up valuables so please be guided by the following:
- Bring a phone card so that you can make personal calls. The Homestead has no capacity to accept incoming personal calls for clients.
- Don't bring any valuables of any kind! We can lock up small amounts of cash for you for safekeeping.
- Bring your health card.
- Don't bring original copies of any other identification if you have a safe place to store it at home.
- Don't bring credit cards or personal cheques.
- Bring a few family pictures if you wish.
- Don't bring a large number of cd's, movies etc. All movies must be approved by staff before viewing.
- Don't bring other appliances of any kind.
- Don't bring valuable jewellery or any items that have great sentimental value.
- Don't bring anything that you are not prepared to lose! It is important that you are able to focus on your program, not on the security of your personal possessions.
Food, Plants, Animals
- Don't Bring any kind of plant or flowers with you to The Homestead. Out of concern for those with allergies and sensitivities we do not permit plants or flowers in client rooms.
- Clients are not permitted to bring food or beverages into our temporary location.No food of any kind is permitted in client rooms.
- Don't Bring your pet to The Homestead. Please speak to your intake worker if you require a service dog. We will do all we can to accommodate you.
- Bring an alarm clock if you have one. It is important for you to be up on time each and every day of your program.
- Bring a small flashlight or personal battery-operated booklight with you if you wish to read in bed after lights out.
- If you wish, bring a small personal radio or cd player with headphones only, and batteries as needed.
- Don't bring any radio or boom box that does not use headphones. You may not play your radio or stereo aloud.
- Don't bring a television, portable dvd player or computer, etc.
- Bring pens or pencils for your class work.
- Bring any personal hobby item with you that you like to do for relaxation, e.g. puzzle book, knitting, a novel, etc. Don't Bring candles of any kind.
- If you smoke, bring your own cigarettes and lighter. Smoking materials must be left with staff by all clients at the downtown location.
- You may bring a cell phone, but it may not be used or charged on Homestead property. All cell phones must be turned off and left with staff at all times until you are leaving the building